The Pastors of the Church

 

The first pastor of West Maryville Baptist Church was called by unanimous vote on Sunday, March 18, 1945. The pulpit committee submitted their recommendation to the Church “that Brother Paul A Reneau be called to pastor the Church for an indefinite period of time.” On this day of action in the life of the Church, seven members were received as candidates for baptism.

Following the very successful work of Rev. Reneau, the Church extended, in September 1950, a call to Rev. George B. Masters. In 1952, the Church called as pastor the greatly beloved and long-time pastor of First Baptist Maryville, Dr. P. B. Baldridge.

In October 1953, the Church issued a recall to service to Rev. George B. Masters. Rev. Masters led the Church to found a local mission before his resignation in October 1955.

The Church was then without a pastor until June 1956, when the church voted to call Rev. Joe L. Orr of Robbinsville, N.C. Rev. Orr served the Church faithfully and saw the Church Mission through to a co-operating Southern Baptist Church.

Rev. Orr resigned the Church in February 1961 and in July 1961 the Church issued a call to Rev. David E. Gregg. In July 1968, Rev. Gregg resigned, and the Church was without a pastor until January 1969. The Church issued a call to Rev. Glenn Brooks, who was the pastor until April 1969.

The Church was then without a pastor until October 1969, when the Church issued a call to Rev. Joe Caldwell, who was the pastor until October 1975. The Church was then without a pastor until Rev. Troy Christopher was called January 1975. He was the pastor until November 1979.

The Church was then without a pastor until June 1980 when Elmer Sharp was called to be the pastor. He was the pastor until June 1987, when the Church was without a pastor until July 1978. Rev. Earl Taylor was called to be the pastor, and served until December1993.

Rev. Taylor resigned, and the Church called the Rev. James Dial as the interim pastor. He served from December 1993 through March 1994. Dr. Thomas McLemore became pastor of West Maryville Baptist Church on Easter Sunday, April 3, 1994. Dr. McLemore served until October 2005. The church then called Rev. Bill Dixon to be pastor in November 2005.